Is your vehicle parked outside? Are you tired of having to clear the snow off it each morning before using it? Less expensive and simpler than building a garage, you can consider installing a carport to protect your car.
But do you know how to install a carport? The specialists from Auvents Polo, experienced in the practice for over 40 years, advise you.
What you need to do before installing a carport?
Choose a quality carport and check the local regulations
If you are thinking about investing in a carport, you must first of all:
- make sure to choose a high-quality model from among the various carports available for sale and rental;
- check the carport regulations for Longueuil or the area where you live if you are not a Longueuil resident.
Pro tips to learn how to install a carport
How to install a temporary carport
Then, apart from assembling the structure of your temporary winter shelter, the following steps are identical for single or double shelters.
How to install a carport—the installation steps in order:
- assemble the single or double structure;
- install the canvas;
- install the door with an upright or side clip;
- install the rider, toggle, or permanent anchor (the latter solution is preferable);
- install the guide wire (optional, but strongly recommended);
- install the connector panel.
If you are wondering how to install a carport, you should know that using concrete blocks as anchors should be avoided because they are dangerous. Indeed, although they are solid, they remain too unstable in the face of the elements and can be blown away by the wind.
Installing a wooden carport
These carports can be installed on an existing concrete slab or one that has been custom-poured for the occasion. In this case, the posts must rest on metal brackets firmly pegged in the slab.
If the ground is not concrete, it is necessary to:
- carefully level the installation area of your carport;
- use foundation cones of 40 to 50 cm in section and at least 40 cm thick;
- seal H-shaped metal brackets;
- cover the posts with stringer beams;
- reinforce the corners with trestles;
- assemble the supporting structure for each side on the ground.
Once the supporting structure has been assembled, it is necessary to:
- get help to straighten one side of the structure and engage the base of the posts in their bracket;
- attach the two end crosspieces, the crosspieces connecting the posts between them, then the other crosspieces spaced equidistant from each other;
- add a trestle under each connection between the posts and crosspieces as reinforcement.
Then, all you have to do is attach the roof panels as stipulated in the manual. Make sure to respect the direction of assembly by taking the direction of the prevailing winds into account. The installation is completed by surrounding the roof with screwed fascia boards:
- face against field at the end of the crosspieces on two sides;
- against the end crosspieces for the remaining sides.
Trust the installation of your temporary winter shelter to Auvents Polo
Since 1974, Auvents Polo has been the benchmark in custom carports. Whether you are located in Longueuil or Montreal, we can assist you. Installing a shelter is not a simple task. Make your life easier and let our experts help you. Do not hesitate to contact Auvents Polo if you need more information.